Saturday, August 7, 2010

Personal Book Review: Ralph Fletcher

After reading some years ago Fletcher's incredible descriptively well-written realistic fiction novel "Flying Solo", which my students absolutely loved, I knew I had to find other works authored by Fletcher. Honestly, my reading muscles were just beginning to develop, and I felt that if an author like Fletcher held my attention in the fiction genre, then I was sure his teacher help books on the topic of 'writer's notebooks' would do the same. "A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You" written by Ralph Fletcher, was my personal book of choice to begin my search for information on the topic of how to use and why use a writer's notebook in the classroom. I would soon find out more about Fletcher and how he would open my eyes to the adventurous world of writing.

And what about Fletcher? I discovered that Fletcher, born in Massachusetts, was the oldest of nine children along with a large extended family; Large family gatherings meant stories and more stories; Fletcher just loved listening to stories or reading stories from books which would later inspire his own journey to becoming one of the nation's noteable prolific writers. As I read more about Fletcher, I began to find the information I was seeking.

During his younger school days Fletcher made this statement after reading "Call of the Wild" by Jack London" saying, "Wouldn't it be unbelievable if I could write a book that would affect other people even half as much as this book affected me! These books taught me many things--mostly the power of words" (website). Fletcher also recalled how he wrote, sketched, and doodled in a writing notebook. Aha!

The idea of Fletcher's writer's notebook finally surfaces. Even then is evidence that Fletcher had some kind of vision as to how important this type of writing would be to him. Years after, Fletcher enjoyed how his methods of writer's notebook would excite children with the desire to write. Since then, Fletcher has written several books for teachers and children, and in all different genre types.

So, how did this book of choice impact me? Writer's Notebook consists of twelve chapters describing everything from the 'how to use writer's notebook' to the 'why use writer's notebook' in your classroom. Fletcher's book maybe only 138 pages, but is packed throughout with 'keys' that will unlock the golden doors to the writing kingdom, and is written in a language that is simple yet sophistitated in manner.

Fletcher opens up each chapter with his own true short story scenarios that just grab the reader's attention which leads to many examples and ideas on how to be successful with writer's notebook in my classroom. For example, chapter 1 is titled "Unforgettable Stores". What a hook! I dove right in to find out what was so unforgettable. I am sure that my students will have their own unforgettable stories to share. This is exciting to me and I just mentioned the first chapter.

Reading on in the remainder of the chapters, I especially liked Fletcher's play on words that continued to again hook me; words like 'fierce wonderings, mind pictures, snatches of talk. To me, this vivid type of language is sure to hook the boys as well as the girls. Fletcher is brilliant with his attention to audience; he is sincere and genuine in finding ways to purposely attract the target audience.

Fletcher's accomplishments are recognized by other notable educator/author/writers and unamiously agree that Fletcher writes a fun-filled, easy to follow, guaranteed writer's notebook guide to use in any classroom with any level of students. Well, this is only proof positive that Ralph Fletcher, the author of Writer's Notebook, book of personal choice, is an author who is also a well-known friend to teachers everywhere, and that is why I will continue to follow Fletcher's authored works.

And finally, I leave you with a taste of Fletcher as he writes about the purpose of writer's notebook. "When I write an idea into the notebook I don't know whether or not I'll end up using it. How can I tell which stuff I'll throw away, and which stuff I'll come back to? I remember what the writer Don Murray once wrote in one of his many books about writing: Remember: It takes forty gallons of maple sap to make one one gallon of maple syrup. This idea is with me every time I sit down to write...you have to boil off lots of water in order to make the syrup of your writing dark, thick, and sweet" (pg. 129).



No comments:

Post a Comment