Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Emig: Non-Magical Thinking

Agree how Emig defends her thoughts on what changes need to take place in the classroom in order for the student to experience the true magic of writing. I especially like the statement Emig made about herself being a slow learner, but at least Emig goes on to say how it was that revelation of knowing that critical pieces were missing in her classroom to engage students in a learning writing environment that motivated her to discover the research that would ultimately help her make those changes. Emig's statement here resonates with me as I am learning how and why it is important to create a nurturing writing environment for my students.

Emig, herself, admits how she had to rethink and relearn her initial models of teaching writing to her students. Emig's idea of "non-magical thinking" encourages teachers to simply come to the realization that students will engage in their writing environment sooner if teachers learn to move out of their way, keeping in mind that guided writing intervention is recommended to improve a student's writing. Interesting, while I read Emig's article, I can't help but think 'why' these educators, notable researchers, have not been placed in my path earlier? Also interesting fact noted, that prior to Emig's article, other researchers share similar philosophies with Emig. I am beginning to understand the concept of 'web of thinking'. It is because of Emig's research that motivates me to rethink and redo my approach to standing out of the way of my students' writing journey.

Change is good and needed, especially in the area how writing is presented in schools. . Emig's research is impressive and convincing on showing me how teachers are presently providing writing instruction comparing to what conditions need to be like not only for the magical process of learning writing but for other major cognitive processes as well. Writing is described as a natural way of reacting to one's environment, according to Emig; I see that now. I absolutely agree with Emig's philosophies. Emig only advocates that students be given the oppportunity to discover the magical world of writing. But it is also exciting to note that Emig absolutely advocates that teachers are also given those same opportunities to learn how to help students find that magical world of writing. I too pave the goal to be a 'transactional constructivist' as Emig. Look out! A paradigm writing transformation is taking place for students as well as for teachers and this is only the beginning of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment